Thursday, September 25, 2008

Veggie Head

I couldn't pin point the exact date I was officially a vegetarian. Over time I eliminated certain foods from my diet due to my picky ways. If I had a hamburger it had to be beyond well done it was burnt. Chicken was only good if it were a strip (deep fried) basically I didn't want to see red or veins.

My downfall started off w/under cooked meat. I had it quite a few times in a row. A co-worker suggested we go to the infamous KFC for lunch & never really gone I agreed. If I only knew...years later I'm well aware of the mistreatment of their animals not only through caging but pumping them w/steroids to get them fatter quicker. Now, don't get me wrong. I didn't stop eating meat for the sake of saving a life. On that particular day the meat was so undercooked I couldn't stand looking at another piece of chicken or beef w/out gagging. I ate fish for awhile but even that proved to be devastating. Nothing worse than mooshy salmon. :(


Fast forward to 4 years later & I still (try) to avoid meat. I say try because even though I didn't believe cravings through prenancy my Cameron is proving that old wives tale to be very true. I've had meat three times during the last 6 months. :/


Try as I might to fight the cravings I never make Paul do without. There's quite a few veggie products he loves veggie burgers, soy sausage & veggie corn dogs but my man loves the real deal. So, usually when either one of us cooks there's always a dish with or without meat to please both our taste.


Probably my 2nd or 3rd month into my pregnancy I noticed there were certain foods that I could no longer stomach that were a staple in my diet. To put it short anything fried, cheese (in large quantity, meaning no cheese sandwich from Togos) or fast food Cameron is not a fan of. It's really not so bad. I've been eating healthier (a lot of fruits) & I cook a lot more at home.



Last night I prepared one of our favorite veggie pasta dishes. This recipe introduced us to Snow Peas & honestly I can't believe it took me so long! They're beyond delicious & add a nice snap to the pasta. I found the original recipe off of Eden Organic Pasta Company's website. I don't follow the recipe exactly. For one, I don't use their pasta but I do use bow tie. It's thin enough to add taste but not take away from other flavors. I substitute Feta cheese for Parmesan & last but not least I add pine nuts. Overall it's a wonderful & easy recipe. Plus there's always extra for lunch!



For Paul's main dish I marinaded Salmon the night before. I rubbed (yup, massaged the poor lifeless thing) with fresh lemon juice, sea salt & lemon pepper. Before popping it in the oven I cut a few slits through out the top & poured the juice mixture to add more flavor. By the time I was finished w/the pasta the fish was nice & flaky.



Here's a few snapshots (camera phone :/) of last nights dinner.




4 comments:

JennB said...

MMM that looks tastey. When are you going to be making me dinner?

Robyn said...

Mmmm, that sounds good! You would have liked what I made last night. Pasta with aspragus, tomatoes, and baby spinach.

Sarah Elizabeth said...

The pasta looks great! I don't eat seafood...blech... :-)

I have a friend who's a vegetarian and she craved and ate meat her entire pregnancy! I, on the other hand am a meat eater and was repulsed by meat for most of my pregnancy!

Becki said...

This totally reminds me of when Pheobe was pregnant on Friends :) I share your grossed-out feelings toward meat but I still eat it, just incredibly picky about it.