Thursday, February 7, 2008

I.am.Tired

I’m not just tired I am effin tired. My eyes burn & my legs are sore. I am far from my crazy club-hopin days where I got home at 4 in the morning just to wake up for work at 6. Amazingly enough I always felt refreshed. Those days are LONG gone.
This semester I signed up for two night classes one on Wednesday & one on Thursday. Each class is scheduled 6-10pm. If I’m lucky & leave on time I’ll make it home a little after 11. The traffic is non-exist going to school & home so essentially it’s the perfect schedule. I just need to adjust to the long hours. I’m rambling. I do that.
Anywho, so yesterday our class had a planned trip to The Way We Wore. Along with the trip a scheduled appt to meet with Doris Raymond was arranged. Fabulous woman. Fabulous. If you ever, ever have the pleasure to meet Doris I hope that your experience is as exhilarating as my own. Through her stories of triumph & failure I was able to share a speckle of her amazing journey. She is beyond humble & willing, so willing to answer all questions. If she doesn’t know the answer she knows the person who can help you & is so full of knowledge. Book smart & knowledge through life lessons. I truly cannot say enough about her. The experience was one in a lifetime. The only way you can meet Doris is through an appointment. Appointments are hard to come by & we were very fortunate that she made the time to meet with our class. Not only did she take the time for class but after all the other students left (a little before 8 pm) Rachel (another student) & I stayed to ask more questions & pick her brain. Doris stayed with us until 9:30, until 9:30! Needless to say after gabbing with Rachel afterward I didn't get home until after midnight :/ Anywho, back to the fab Doris!
She did not once complain about our extended visit & encouraged our questions & thoughts. She allowed us to go into her “closet” which is where clients are taken to pick through the best of the best. The room was filled top to bottom of clothes, accessories, magazines ranging from Vogue to Montgomery Ward. It was gold. Pure.Gold. Going over books, websites, designers, places she’d been oh! The list goes on & on. I am just so thankful. Plus I had the pleasure of being able to afford some of the precious items she’d found.

As you can see even the poops have good taste. I bought the red knit cap, pearl necklace w/the lovely ruby accent & heart throbbing vintage Salvador Sapena pumps for under $140. That's what I really loved about her shop. Most items were really affordable. The layout of the store really has the consumer in mind. All items found on the lower level are reasonably priced. But, wow. The top floor.......I was among the greats. YSL, Chanel, Louis, Dolce & Gabbana half the names I didn't even know how to pronounce! How she finds these delicious treasure is truly beyond me. She explained a lot of it was through trial & error (bidding on pieces through auction). One of the many amazing stories she shared was one of Sonia Delaunay. While scouting out other vintage shops she came across an original (!) Sonia Delaunay hat & scarf. At the time she just had a hunch of it maybe, being a Sonia Delaunay original but wasn’t too sure. So instead of passing up the opportunity she bought the pieces for one hundred & fifty dollars. I cannot stress that amount enough. ONE HUNDRED AND-okay you get the point. Anywho, come to find out they were true originals. Sonias son send Doris a certificate of authenticity. Now, with this authenticity her items are worth more than you can imagine. But it's more than the worth. Having an original is priceless! To be known as an owner to an original piece is mindboggling.
The goods don't stop there. Through all her well sought out items Doris is very well known through the fashion industry. A list clients are constantly buying & "borrowing" items helping her name become well known & business thrive on word of mouth.
Photos were not permitted but I tried to take a few w/my camera phone. The pictures do not do her items justice nor does the website. So after the exhileratng high of meeting with Doris & drolling over her treasures I quickly hit the low of my high. Now, here I am at work trying to keep my eyes open.
Just one more trip…..I swear I can stop anytime.
Then again, there's always Tar-jay to hold back the urges...

3 comments:

JennB said...

WOW! I love your hat too!!! WOW!

Brenda said...

Wow, that's friggin sweet!! :D

Anonymous said...

Love the red knit hat! It looks fab on you. And the pic of Oscar's nose with Sadie and your new pumps in the background is too cute!