Friday, February 15, 2008

Teller 2



Design Process :

The background is black poster board.

I drew the mouth & cut out the outside spiral pieces from Bristol paper.

The hands were magazine cut outs.

The teeth were outlined with yellow sewing thread.

The lips & teeth were painted with Acrylic.


Thought Process :

When the project was presented to the class I knew immediately that I wanted to have a smile that formed into a droop. The original concept included blocked images of "flesh" with hands. All cut outs from magazines. After compiling the blocked images I quickly realized I hated that idea. The original thought for my mouth included a cut out of foil to represent the flash that comes from super shiny teeth. We didn't have any foil so that idea got nixed. The lips were going to be pulled down with thread but then I realized that didn't fully represent my full thought process. So that's how I came up with the end product.


I truly loved my color theory class. I took it over a year ago & still to this day (almost every day) I use the meaning of colors & their communication with one another to it's full extent.


Red : Love

White : Purity

Yellow : Happiness

Green : Growth

Purple : Frustration



Sacred/Profane Aspects :


This piece represents how I feel the world see's me. The smile is both sacred & profane. Sacred because I can gain trust from strangers & it helps people open up to me. The profane aspect is that at times it can be fake. If I'm caught with out a smile there's something terribly wrong. So to avoid constant questions I instead hid behind my smile. My smile allows people to ask & take advantage of me. That's where the title comes into place. Teller 2. So much is asked from me that there are no thoughts of "asking" & the deliberate use of telling me to do task falls off the tongue so easily that it begins to sound more as Teller 2 then Tell.Her.To. The droop that my smile trickles down to shows my hidden feelings of sadness. Through helping others deal with their problems & help make their life easier I loose myself. The swirling pieces in the background represent how I see myself. A swirly mess lost in a world of "want". The hands are others taking pieces of myself to call their own. Taking my life & making it about theirs.


Even though this is obviously a troubled piece that's where the importance of color meaning comes into play. As you can see the red is very dominant. This is because my love for my family is very important to me. My family is my life & I wouldn't have it any other way. The purple represents my frustration over being taken advantage of again & again. The green shows growth. I am determined to overcome this handicap of always saying yes. Over time & triumph I will make time for myself & my needs without feeling guilty. The white represents my morals. No matter how much people pull at me & tell me to do task for them I'll never go against my morals. As I was growing up it was assumed that I would be a high school drop out, have kids before marriage & live off of welfare. I was adamant to not let these negative thoughts pull me down. That's where the yellow comes into play. I truly am a happy person. I love life & I'm truly blessed to have the opportunities' that have been given to me & able to share it all with my family. Last but not least the gift to have met & spend the rest of my life with Paul makes me smile uncontrollably.


Final Grade : B+


In the end I'm happy with my piece & the grade I received. How can you grade art? It just seems impossible. However, I could critique it for hours on end.


I would love to hear your thoughts & critiques (good or bad) regarding
Teller 2.



2 comments:

JennB said...

I interrupted it totally differently but I like that. I like that I sat and thought about it. I say you get an A in my book because you did it and you did it well. GOOD JOB FRIEND!

Angie Eats Peace said...

a B+??? What was the reasoning for that? I love it!