Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Queen of random

I never knew this about myself. Recently my bff(!) Jenn pointed this out to me. Not willing to believe I repeated the comment to Paul & it was confirmed......I'm hopelessly random. Now, I'm still not quite sure what this means. Am I random or just spontaneous? Let's take last night for instance. The "plan" was to finish my taxes (which I've been putting off because I'm incredibly lazy) & study for a test. Well at least the tax part was taken care of.

We live inside a gated community. Our condo is located right by the entrance gate so we're pretty much within 10 ft of the public park & the main street. While walking toward our place I noticed a dog (who I will refer to as No Name) in the middle of the road poking her nose through some trash. I initially freaked out not only because she was in the middle of the road but because a truck was heading straight toward her! So I walked (I've realized w/each stray I meet that running only provokes fear) so I briskly walked over to No Name & calmly w/a sweet voice called out to her. Thankfully she was very trusting. So trusting in fact she fell into my lap & dug her nose in between my arm. It was so touching! My heart melt when I realized how skinny she'd become. You could see all of her bones. :( I quickly took off my coat & wrapped it around her body. It was so sad. A few cars driving outside the complex stopped & asked a few questions, "was she the one in the fight? was she with the other dogs?" I had no clue. At that time I didn't even see any dogs. I had Paul go inside to get a collar & a leash (we have extras through out the house because I'm a compulsive shopper). I carried all the way to the front portion of our condo. To avoid any conflict I wanted her to meet Sadie & Oscar on common ground. As soon as they showed interest in one another we praised & gave out treats. No Name gobbled them right up! After the intro we decided to take them inside. Oddly enough she didn't understand what stairs were or how to get up them. So I placed a treat on each step & she climbed right up!Once inside I gave her a bowl of dry food. Poor thing was so hungry! I placed my hand inside to bowl to see her reaction & thankfully she just ate around it. Not sure of her background I wanted to make sure she wasn't aggressive. The other poopies even walked around the bowl while she was eating & nothing. YAY!
After praising her good behavior we gave No Name a quick tour of her new home, don't tell Paul I said that ;).
Look at that floppy ear!
Her gorgeous eyes :)
Next, we headed to the bathroom for a much needed bath. Getting her inside the bath was fun. :/ She stiffened & tried to escape. So since she was determined to fly out of the tub.......I joined her. :) It was pathetically sad when she began to push her nose through the crack of the shower doors & started to climb up the wall to avoid getting wet.
Notice all the dirty water!
She can't even believe all that dirt was on her!
After a nice hot bath we dried her w/a towel fresh from the dryer. Oscar & Sadie love this part. After washing all the gunk & dirt off of her coat you can see just how beautiful & shiny her true coat can be! Then afterward Paul took all three out for a walk. While they were away I made a quick dash to PetSmart to pick up a crate. If we learned anything from potty training Sadie it's you should always crate train them. That was not a easy or cheap lesson to learn. Plus the crate also acts as a "den" which can help calm any feeling of insecurity w/their surroundings.


Our first night with No Name was actually pretty easy. She realized begging for human food was wrong & not to go inside the kitchen.
She laid at our feet during American Idol & went into her crate w/out (much) hesitation. She's a real sweetheart & I'm really glad she found us. Since I have class tonight Paul is taking her to meet Dr. Sid to make sure she's healthy (besides malnourished), fixed & to check if she has a chip. I cannot express how well behaved No Name is around us & our poopies. She didn't mind my touching her feet & she loves Paul. I was really excited that she didn't fear men. Alot of strays unfortunately have that common fear. I'll be sure to keep you updated on No Name. We're still up in the air about whether or not she's going to stay w/us. First step is taking her to the vet & we'll go from there.


She seems to fit in rather nicely don't you think? :)

6 comments:

JennB said...

You are the queen of random but I love it! It keeps me on my toes. No day is the same with you.
That puppy is SO CUTE! And I love you desperately for taking her home with you. I can't wait for her trip to the vet. I think she fits in perfectly with your crew. You should keep her.

Anonymous said...

You're mother theresa to dogs everywhere in the sb nation.
:)

Brenda said...

You have such a big heart Brandy!! I think No Name fits in with your family perfectly! It's almost like the transition is too easy--I hope you get to keep her and that she is healthy.

Robyn said...

She is very cute! Hopefully she is healthy and you get to keep her. She will definitely get all the attention that she needs and a lot more!

sherthebear said...

No Name is very lucky to have you find her. What agreat person you are! No Name is a cutie, I hope she is healthy!

Anonymous said...

Oh, you are soo good! I hope if you guys can't keep her you find her a nice home, she needs some love!!