Thursday, March 20, 2008

Wherever the wind takes us...

That is, if the wind was named Miah. :/ Last week after presenting our sacred/profane piece our instructor Miah reviled that we would be visiting Downtown Art Walk & also announced that there would be a New Years celebration in Chinatown so essentially we could walk right over after the exhibit. Cool beans. Not only was I really excited about going out of school for class but I planned to bring Paul to experience the celebration with me.

Oh the experience we shared.

First off. Downtown Art Walk is the second Thursday of every month. So for a split second Paul freaked thinking he was stuck in class with us. Hee hee. Thankfully Miah had a back up plan. The plan was to visit the Murakami exhibit at Moca. Sweet! I was informed of the exhibit by Leslie & wanted to visit before the exhibit came to an end. Yay! Maybe the turn in plans wasn't so bad after all. So off we went (via Redline) to downtown. Walked a few blocks & arrived at Moca within 30 mins. Niiice. Now as we entered the exhibit I started taking in piece by piece. I'm one of those people that can't/won't pre-judge. You can go on & on about how you love/hate something/someone but I won't take anything into consideration of how it's/they are going to make me feel. In the end I didn't love nor did I hate the artwork. In my own humble opinion the artwork is overrated. It is unique, I'll give it that much. Unfortunately, for myself the uniqueness begins to drown in Murakami's repetitiveness. Not all pieces fell victim to this display. One of my particular favorites...

This post was originally written on 8.Feb.08. Obviously I didn't really care for the exhibit since I didn't even bother to finish my thoughts. However during our finals tonight one of the fellow adventurers shared his own re-creation of our night together. Even though we didn't join in the Chinese New Year festivities we had fun together & created a bond. These are the moments where you think to yourself, "my life is good."

No comments: