Wednesday, June 18, 2008

My little hunter

Oscar is a Dachshund through & through. Not only does he love to dig & is a stubborn little sh*t but he loves to "hunt". Before bringing him home our Uncle said he caught quite a few mice from the bushes. EW. I think it's more curiosity than wanting to kill. In the past he's caught a bird. It was the weirdest moment. A little baby bird was just hopping on the grass & Oscar put his paw over his little wing. He sniffed the birdie, lifted his paw & let it fly free. It was so sweet. Another huge Dachshund trait is their huge sniffer. I swear he loves to smell anything & everything. When I bring home new clothes he wants to sniff each & every piece. I wouldn't doubt if his goal is to one day snuggle w/a cat. We've yet to find a cat that will let him do this. I don't understand why. He has such a loving non-intimidating face. :)




We use to live by a huge empty lot that rabbits use to home in. Oscar loved going by the lot & staring at his prey err friends. I would name each animal & insect he saw so he would become familiar w/the words. Funny enough fly became the first common word. We would leave the patio door open so he could lay in the sun while we were off at work. Leaving the door wide open would let in a few flies. It was sick. So I decided to let him exercise his hunting abilities & say, "go get the fly!" & Oscar would run around the house looking for his kill. Funny enough after awhile we stopped getting flies & even until this day we rarely get any. Oh but when we do Oscar is ready.

When I came home yesterday I opened up the patio. Which let in a huge, HUGE fly. I didn't say anything because Oscar & Sadie were panting from our long (ok it was like 5 mins.) walk in the heat. The fly was on the glass door & kept buzzing so Sadie ran to the door & Oscar followed. The only noise to follow were two loud *BAM* *BAM* which was Oscar slamming his nose against the door.

Poor fly never had a chance.


Oscar on the other hand couldn't have been prouder of his kill!




Good job Pop!

On a side note: I let the fly out after taking the pics. He was a little stunned but alive & well. :) I'm sure he's off to tell his fly buddies the fly killing machine rumors are true.

2 comments:

JennB said...

Aww! I love the picture of Oscar in his bow tie! He's a fly killing machine! Don't leave your children flies unattended!

Just Me said...

LOL!!! My dogs chase the flys but never catch them! Too cute!